Twenty-one freshmen receive Blugold Promise scholarshipsDecember 28, 2012
EAU CLAIRE — The following University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire freshman received Blugold Promise scholarships through the UW-Eau Claire Foundation for the 2012-13 academic year.
- Kelsey Stuttgen, Altoona, received the Peterson Blugold Promise Scholarship, created by James and Pamela Peterson in 2010. James Peterson, a 1985 UW-Eau Claire graduate, is currently vice president and chief investment officer at Charles Schwab in San Francisco.
- Jordan Niles, Appleton, received the John and Joan Butler Blugold Promise Scholarship. John Butler is a 1976 chemistry and mathematics alumnus of UW-Eau Claire.
- Andrew Czech, Athens, received the Palmer Blugold Promise Scholarship. Glenn Palmer earned a mathematics degree in 1961, and Sue Palmer graduated with an education degree in 1959.
- Katelyn Johnson, Blair, received the Thomas and Mavis A. Gunderson Blugold Promise Scholarship, established by Ann Gunderson Thornburg in honor of her parents. Thornburg, the first woman at PricewaterhouseCoopers to be admitted to a partnership in Boston, graduated in 1970 with a bachelor's degree in accounting.
- Brent Moen, Chippewa Falls, and Samantha Vanwyk, Sheboygan, received the Dr. Richard Fulwiler Blugold Promise Scholarship. Fulwiler graduated from UW-Eau Claire with a degree in chemistry in 1961.
- Jeremy Tiegs, Cumberland, Eric Knechtel, Oshkosh, and Elizabeth Wussow, Waterloo, received the John Kell Memorial Blugold Promise Scholarship. The scholarship was established in memory of 1973 graduate John Kell, who died in 2005 as a result of a motorcycle accident. Kell led a successful business, was active in the Chippewa Valley community and was a major contributor to several UW-Eau Claire projects. The fund was established by John's wife, Betsy Kell, and their daughters, Sadie and Angela.
- Sarah Mcklveen, De Pere, received the Shannon Blugold Promise Scholarship. Thomas Shannon graduated from UW-Eau Claire in 1982 with an accounting degree. Susan (Kuhl) Shannon graduated in 1984 with a dual degree in education and special education. The Shannons provide their support so students can have fewer financial worries as they start their college careers.
- Sheila Frank, Eau Claire, received the Cheryl De Maio Blugold Promise Scholarship. De Maio graduated from UW-Eau Claire with a degree in medical technology and received a master's degree from St. John's University. As a researcher at Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association — College Retirement Equities Fund in Charlotte, N.C., she credits her professional success to the quality of the education she received at UW-Eau Claire.
- Timothy Rogers, Eau Claire, received the John and Nancy Skoug Blugold Promise Scholarship. The Skougs are both Eau Claire natives and 1975 graduates of UW-Eau Claire.
- Benjamin Hohl, Germantown, and Erin Murphy, Wauwatosa, received the Gary and Debra Reitz Blugold Promise Scholarship. Gary Reitz graduated from UW-Eau Claire in 1979 with a business degree.
- Amanda Marx, Grafton, received the Mary Jo Quinn Blugold Promise Scholarship. Quinn, a former special education teacher, is now an investment attorney. Having come from a large family and having paid her own tuition, Quinn supports the scholarship to give students a chance to spend more time studying.
- Mikayla Kremer, Kewaskum, and Travis Kohnhorst, Kronenwetter, received the Smith Blugold Promise Scholarship. The Smiths both graduated from UW-Eau Claire in the early 1970s. Ken Smith majored in accounting, and Mary Smith majored in English.
- Daniel Beck, Ladysmith, received the Weisenberger Blugold Promise Scholarship. Doug Weisenberger is a 1979 UW-Eau Claire graduate who received a bachelor's degree in business and a master of business administration degree. Kimberlie Weisenberger graduated from UW-Eau Claire in 1980 with an art degree. The couple recognizes the value of a college education and supports the scholarship to help keep degrees attainable for future Blugolds.
- Danielle Sentz, Lyndon Station, received the Donnermeyer Blugold Promise Scholarship. The Donnermeyers are 1975 UW-Eau Claire graduates. Keith Donnermeyer is an accounting graduate, and Charlotte Donnermeyer is a biology graduate.
- Isaac Hansen, Mondovi, received the William and Diane Stark Blugold Promise Scholarship. This scholarship was established by William and Diane Stark through the Bobby Stark Foundation. Bobby Stark, the Starks' youngest son, tragically lost his life on Feb. 11, 2006, at the age of 18. At the time of his death, he was a senior in high school and was planning to graduate in May 2006.
- Cassandra Broeren, New Franken, received the Peter and Julieanne Fremstad Blugold Promise Scholarship. Peter Fremstad graduated in 1972 with a degree in geography and mathematics. Julieanne Fremstad, also a 1972 graduate, received a degree in elementary education.
- Helue Vazquez Valverde, Osseo, received the JJM Blugold Promise Scholarship.
- Carly Heyrman, Pound, received the Quigg Blugold Promise Scholarship. James Quigg graduated from UW-Eau Claire in 1968 with a business administration degree.
- Martha Baker, Rhinelander, received the Dr. Vicki Lord Larson Blugold Promise Scholarship.
- Lissa Huls, Stanley, received the Reith Blugold Promise Scholarship. Paul Reith graduated from UW-Eau Claire in 2002 with an economics degree.
- Katrina Baker, Thorp, received the TC Blugold Promise Scholarship.