The Spectator and staff to receive WNA awardsFebruary 13, 2013
EAU CLAIRE — The University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire student newspaper, The Spectator, and its staff members will be recognized Feb. 28 with the following awards during the Wisconsin Newspaper Association awards luncheon in Middleton:
- First place: feature writing — "Learning from the past, Looking into the future" by senior Chris Reinoos, Milwaukee.
- Second place: general excellence — staff.
- Second place: investigative reporting — "Cost of new Davies redesign at $572,000" by alumnus Frank Pellegrino, Shorewood, and alumna Breann Schossow, Houston, Minn.
- Third place: feature writing — "Putting it on ice: Student curler wins silver at Junior National Championships" by senior Anna Soldner, La Crosse.
- Third place: best editorial — "The New Davies Center Redesign Costs" by The Spectator editorial board.
The newspaper's faculty adviser, Dr. Michael Dorsher, associate professor of journalism, said the staff recognition is particularly noteworthy.
"The Spectator's second place in general excellence is remarkable," Dorsher said, "because it came in a year when the staff redesigned the paper's format from a broadsheet to a tabloid and launched its new website — all to deal with the lingering effects of the recession and the Internet's dilution of the audience for newspapers."
In addition, Chris Reinoos, editor-in-chief for The Spectator, said that the student newspaper is continuously committed to excellence.
"I absolutely think our paper does an award-winning job," Reinoos said. "We work tirelessly to put out the best product we can every week. As long as I've been here, we've always had a strong, deep stable of writers capable of turning out excellent pieces."