Greek Week results in successful fundraising, community serviceMay 3, 2013
EAU CLAIRE — Greek Week — a week that brings fraternities and sororities together through fun and competitive activities — took place April 19-25 at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire. During the weeklong event, the Greek organizations give back to local and national organizations and promote awareness about Greek Life at UW-Eau Claire.
Events included the following:
- Relay for Life: UW-Eau Claire Greeks was the top donating team at the April 19 event, raising $3,487 for the American Cancer Society.
- Progressive Dinner: At this Greek mixer, chapters made different meal courses and rotated from house to house to dine together as a Greek community.
- Karaoke Night: A free campuswide event was presented at Higherground.
- Greek God and Goddess Games: Competition for the God and Goddess candidates, with teammates, included a relay race, a cup-stacking activity, a dance-off and a "Family Feud" game.
- Community Service Day: Greek students, along with members of the Student Senate and Student United Way of UW-Eau Claire, hung up door hangers about weather safety in the Eau Claire community for the American Red Cross.
- Barbeque: A barbeque open to all students was presented in Owen Park, in collaboration with the Student Senate's Student Office of Sustainability, to celebrate the end of Greek Week.
The week held two competitions, including the Greek Week Spirit Cup sponsored by the Order of Omega honor society, and the Greek God and Goddess competition. The Greek Week Spirit Cup awarded points for each event based on participation to the chapter that found the Greek Week medallion and to the nearest dollar in the Greek Week Penny Wars. The sorority Delta Zeta won the Spirit Cup for 2013 and found the medallion. As a collective community, all chapters raised $368.70 from the Penny War competition that will be donated to the UW-Eau Claire Foundation Blugold Emergency Fund.
The Greek God and Goddess competition consisted of three main events, including an interview, completion of a window painting and participation in the Greek God and Goddess Games. This year's winners were senior Scott Suring, De Pere, from Phi Gamma Delta and sophomore Amber Hargesheimer, Hudson, from Delta Zeta.
The UW-Eau Claire Greek community is made up of three men's chapters and three women's chapters as well as the honor society Order of Omega. The men's chapters are Delta Sigma Phi, Delta Tau Delta and Phi Gamma Delta (FIJI). The women's chapters are Alpha Xi Delta, Delta Zeta and Sigma Sigma Sigma.