Media Memo: Camp familiarizes local 6th-12th-graders with college, STEM fieldsJuly 16, 2013
TO: News Editors and Directors
FROM: Julie Poquette
DATE: July 16, 2013
SUBJECT: Camp familiarizes local 6th-12th-graders with college, STEM fields
Sixty-seven students in grades six through 12 are getting a taste of the college experience during a five-day science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) themed camp at UW-Eau Claire through Thursday, July 18. The camp is sponsored by the university's Blugold Beginnings program, which aims to inform and inspire underrepresented students about higher education and how it is attainable for them.
Campers are spending class time with UW-Eau Claire faculty, staying overnight in the residence halls, eating in the university dining hall and learning about the options and benefits of higher education, with a focus on STEM-related majors and careers. Campers will take a field trip to a local business featuring STEM careers and learn about how and where STEM is used within the community.
Through a partnership with the Eau Claire Area School District and support for Blugold Beginnings through the UW-Eau Claire Foundation, students from the Eau Claire School District or who have participated in Blugold Beginnings programming during the school year can attend the camp free of charge. Other camp participants pay a small participation fee.
Camp activities will include:
- 9-11 a.m. Wednesday: Field trip to Great Northern Corp. in Chippewa Falls
- 9-11 a.m. Wednesday: Nature hunt
- 1-2 p.m. Wednesday: "College Knowledge" sessions in Hibbard Hall
- 2-4 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday: Class time with Professor Crispin Pierce, environmental public health, or Professor Kim Pierson, physics
- 4-5 p.m. Wednesday: Judging of free-standing structures campers built on Monday and Tuesday using toothpicks, marshmallows and gumdrops, and presentation of awards.
Members of the media are welcome to photograph and/or videotape the Blugold Beginnings STEM Camp activities and to interview campers and staff. To schedule a time to cover camp activities or an interview, contact Kristi Herbenson, Blugold Beginnigns summer camp coordinator, at 715-829-6744.