UW-Eau Claire history banner
Eau Claire State Teachers College, ca. 1928

UW-Eau Claire was founded in 1916 as the Eau Claire State Normal School, housed in a single building constructed on 12 acres of land. The institution evolved into a State Teachers College in 1927 and then the Wisconsin State College at Eau Claire in 1951, and it attained university status in 1964. In 1971 the university, with other state-supported higher learning institutions, became a full partner in the new UW System and has continued to expand its mission of providing quality undergraduate education in liberal arts and sciences, business, education, nursing, human sciences and services, and pre-professional programs.


Presidents and chancellors

In its history, the institution has had three presidents, three interim chancellors and three chancellors. One president, Leonard Haas, took an interim UW system assignment and returned as chancellor. > read more.

Harvey Schofield, President, 1916-1940
William R. Davies, President, 1941-1959
Leonard Haas, President, 1959-1971
Richard Hibbard, Interim Chancellor, 1971-1972
John Morris, Acting Chancellor, 1972-1973
Leonard Haas, Chancellor, 1973-1980
M. Emily Hannah, Chancellor, 1981-1984
Larry G. Schnack, Acting Chancellor, 1984-1985; Chancellor, 1985-1997
Marjorie Smelstor, Interim Chancellor, January-June 1998
Donald J. Mash, Chancellor, 1998-2005
Vicki Lord Larson, Interim Chancellor, March 2005-May 2006
Brian Levin-Stankevich, Chancellor, 2006- 2012
Gilles Bousquet, Interim Chancellor, July 2012- June 2013
James C. Schmidt, Chancellor, July 2013-


Excellence. Our Measure. Our Motto. Our Goal.